Friday, May 21, 2010

(A bit late) Long Weekend Week: Packing List

"I travel light; as light, that is, as a man can..."
-Christopher Fry (b.1970) British playwright


Packing is by far the worst part of any trip.

I'm one of those people who likes to decide what I'm going to wear each day depending on lots of things... the weather, the day’s events, my mood... So I find it agonizing to try and plan out what I will need for a trip. I'm also a bit of an over planner (a staircase as Chris not so affectionately calls me) and I need to have every outfit to be decided ahead of time, so I can make sure I have all the underpinnings and accessories I will need!

Out of necessity more than anything, I’ve come up with a must have packing list.

The items on this list are what I consider wardrobe basics… pack these and all you'll need is to throw in a few fun or colourful pieces and you are good to go! All the articles listed can be interpreted to fit you’re personal style; you just want the basic idea!

The List:

1. Skinny Jeans



I love these classic J. Crew matchstick jeans


2. Boyfriend Blazer



Mine is really similar to this Halogen Boyfriend Blazer from Nordstrom


3. Maxi Dress




So comfy... but looks so good! I have this Victoria Secret Halter version in Black


4. Basic Tee



This American Eagle V-neck Favorite T is awesome! You can layer it or wear it on its own... Plus you can actually throw it in the dyer with no shrink!


5. Long Cardigan



I always go for a black cardigan, but you can add some colour here if you want. I love the American Apparel Solid Rib Cardigan


6. Ballet Flats



I live in ballet flats! These Tory Burch 'Reva' Ballerina Flats are super comfortable and super stylish!

7. Basic Tank



I always make sure I pack a couple of layering tanks. I love the fit of the Garage Sheer Cami, and for under $10 you really can't go wrong!


8. Wrap or Scarf



I love having a wrap with me when I travel! It can easily double as a blanket when you're cold, and if you get hot you can loop it on to your handbag! I am loving the colour and texture of this Love Quotes Linen Scarf available at Tobi


9. Sunglasses



I like classic sunglasses that are a bit hip, so I usually go for a pair of Aviator or Wayfarer Ray Bans.


10. Leggings



These Lululemon Wunder Under Pants are so comfortable and fit amazingly! These are not only great for traveling... if you don't have a pair already, you should!


11. Shorts



A great pair of shorts can easily go from day to night if you pick the right style and fabric. I would choose a pair like these Linen Tie Shorts from Forever 21. Great with flats during the day, and then dress them up with heels for the evening! Va va voom!

12. Heels



I just got this pair of Spriggle heels by Spring and I am in love! They look so hot, but are comfortable enough I can dance in them all night!


I find that with this basic wardrobe, I never stress out about having nothing to wear. Pack a few fun tops, dresses and accessories as well and the outfit options are endless!

Happy Packing!


Photo credit: replicapot.com

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect timing...I am struggling packing for Vegas as we speak. But everything you mentioned will be in my suitcase now!!

    ReplyDelete

I heart hearing from you!