Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Simple Things: Spa Cucumber Water

“Water is the only drink for a wise man.”
-Henry David Thoreau




As part of my never ending quest to live a healthier lifestyle, I've been trying to drink more water lately. It's hard work to get the recommended two liters a day and I like water! I actually think a tall, cool glass of water is hard to beat. The problem is having to drink 8 of them when I'm constantly tempted by diet coke and pink lemonade! I find after a glass or two I just get bored... so I decided if I was ever going to make this whole water thing permanent, I would need to get creative!

The first thing I did was went out and bought some pretty glass water bottles to keep in my fridge. I really like having a constant supply of ice cold water, and to be honest, it just feels so much more special coming out of a bottle than a tap and sink over flowing with dishes!
I picked up four of these from IKEA for only $2.99 each!




Next I decided to recreate one of my favorite parts of going to the spa at the Banff Springs Hotel ... the cucumber water. This water is amazing! It is so refreshing, looks and smells fabulous and actually helps to improve the look of your skin! How great is that! Here's how its done:

Spa Cucumber Water

2 liters of water
1 cucumber, sliced and unpeeled
1 lemon sliced and unpeeled
fresh mint sprigs (optional)
Lots of ice

In a large pitcher (or a pretty glass bottle!) combine the water, cucumber (hold a handful for decoration), lemon and a few sprigs of mint.
Let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably 24 hours. If you want instant gratification, and just can't wait 2 hours, squeeze the juice from the cucumbers into the water instead of stirring them in.
Before you enjoy, remove the original cucumber slices and add the ones you set aside, along with some mint, for decoration.
Stir in some ice and you're good to go!


I hope this helps you stay hydrated!


Photo Credit: www.apartmenttherapy.com

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE those glass water jugs...they remind me of being on a patio in Perth soaking up the sun!! I will be trying that Spa Water right away...sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I heart hearing from you!